Chocolate is not for Dogs!

dog and chocolateBelieve it or not, chocolate is poisonous to dogs.  It is also toxic to cats although they are less likely to eat it.  Whilst it is rarely fatal, chocolate ingestion can result in significant illness which can take just hours to develop and could last for days. Clinical signs include vomiting and diarrhoea, increased thirst, panting or restlessness.  Your pet could also have a racing heart rate, muscle spasms and, in extreme cases, seizures.  The severity of poisoning depends on the type and amount of chocolate ingested.  The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to your pet.

If your pet does ingest chocolate it is important that you contact your vet immediately.  The sooner treatment is started the easier and less invasive it is.  Vomiting may be induced but this is only effective up to 40 minutes after ingestion.  If a longer time period has lapsed, aggressive i/v fluids and monitoring may be required.

You can give your pet other treats this Christmas such as rice bones or chew sticks and keep the chocolates out of reach.

Leave a Reply