Hull Vets remind people of the danger of dogs eating chocolate

Just in case you’ve still got any chocolate left, here’s our latest press release…

As Easter approaches, vets and staff at a Holderness Veterinary practice are reminding pet owners of the dangers of giving chocolate to dogs.

It is well documented that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but every Easter dogs are taken to Haven Veterinary Group practices in Hull and Hedon suffering from chocolate poisoning caused by theobromine.

Theobromine is a toxin found in chocolate that humans metabolise easily, but dogs process less slowly; leading to a build up of the toxins that, in large amounts, may kill your dog.

Haven practice owner and Principal Vet, Jim Morris cautions: “Chocolate  poisoning can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack.

“The usual treatment for chocolate poisoning is to induce vomiting within two hours of ingestion, so if you are worried or suspect that your dog may have eaten a large quantity of chocolate and they are showing any of the signs listed above, call a vet as quickly as possible.”

The danger posed by chocolate to a dog depends on the type of chocolate, the amount consumed and the dog’s size.  Dark chocolate contains the highest level of theobromine and even a small amount may induce vomiting or diarrhoea.  To be on the safe side, always keep your Easter Eggs out of the reach of your dog.

Haven Veterinary Group practices operate a 24/7 emergency service at weekends and over the Easter holidays.

Haven Veterinary Group has been treating and caring for small and large animals for over a century and its Holderness Road practice is one of only a few nurse training centres in East Yorkshire.

Leave a Reply