top of page

Pet Travel Scheme

Travelling abroad with your pet usually requires official certification, which our vets can certify and help you to complete.

If you are planning to travel with your pet, the requirements will vary depending on where you are travelling to, and may need starting several months in advance.

The most up to date information is available at

For animals travelling to the EU and Northern Ireland on non-commercial travel, an animal health certificate (AHC) is required. Your pet will need a microchip registered to the owner and have an up to date rabies vaccination. If a new rabies vaccination is needed the certificate cannot be issued until at least 21 days after the rabies vaccination has been administered.

If you are travelling to Finland, Malta, Norway or the Republic of Ireland, there may also be a requirement for tapeworm treatment one to five days before travelling.

Once an AHC is issued, it is valid for 10 days for entry into the EU or NI, and can then be used for up to four months for onward travel within the EU and/or for return to the UK.

Tapeworm treatment will need to be given by a vet in the EU one to five days before returning to the UK.

For animals travelling outside the EU or those travelling to the EU for commercial reasons, requirements vary according to the country of destination.

These requirements can change frequently, so it is best to check for the most up to date requirements.

bottom of page